The Juhring Estate is Dobbs Ferry’s largest park. The 76 acre, pristine woodland preserve is located in the northeast corner of the village and it offers residents a passive recreational area for hiking, walking, biking, nature study, bird watching and pure enjoyment of the great outdoors.
The woodland preserve is easily accessible. It has several blazed hiking trails. And dogs are allowed.
The parcel was purchased by the Village Of Dobbs Ferry in 1968 as open space, but it wasn’t until 1996 that it was officially designated as a parkland.
The estate was named for John C. Juhring III, a landscape architect, who acquired the property in 1909 and whose Belden Avenue residence was at one time contiguous to the current 76 acre parcel. By the early 1960s the land was owned by Edward J. Tobin and Reuben Chase, both investors, who were planning to subdivide the property into 115 lots. Public outrage prompted the village government to acquire grants from the federal and state governments to purchase the property as “open space”. The only stipulation that came with the federal and state grants was that the land remain undeveloped, open and available for the public to enjoy.
|Click Here To
Contact Bill Boeckelman
|- - - - - - - - - - - - - -||Click Here To
Return To Home Page