Ardsley is a quaint incorporated village within the Town of Greenburgh located approximately 15 miles north of Manhattan.
Points Of Interest In Ardsley
Brief History of Ardsley:
The Mohican Indians were the first inhabitants of this Village. An Indian trail stretching from the Hudson River to Long Island Sound once passed through the areas of Ardsley and Dobbs Ferry, and crossed the Nepperhan River. With the need for homes for the settlers, saw mills sprang up along the Nepperhan and its name was changed to the Saw Mill River.
In 1781, Ardsley was the campsite for both General Washington and Count de Rochambeau, the commander of the French army who helped the colonists in the American Revolution.
In the early 1800s, the Village was known as Saw Mill Corners, but by 1850 its name was changed to Ashford, after a large ash tree overlooking the Saw Mill River. Residents applied for a post office in 1883 but found the name Ashford was already taken.
Through his political connections, Cyrus Field, who gained fame and wealth for laying the first Atlantic cable, and who lived nearby, helped the village obtain its post office. In return, the residents gratefully renamed the village Ardsley, after Field's ancestral home in England. In 1896, the Village of Ardsley was incorporated; a school and church were erected.
The advent of the Putnam Railroad in 1883, as well as the building of highways, continued Ardsley's growth. By the 1890s, opulent estates stretched across this and the other River Villages. In 1896, the membership of the Ardsley Country Club included names like Vanderbilt, Rockefeller and Morgan.
Today, Ardsley is a small, yet bustling, village. It is, in fact, Westchester's third smallest municipality; only Elmsford and Buchanan have smaller populations.
The late Tom Carvel, founder of the ice cream chain, lived in Ardsley. Through a grant from the Carvel Foundation, a 2400 square-foot children's wing was added to the Ardsley Library in 1993. The library sponsors a "Fridays at Noon" series for patrons and presents art and sculpture exhibits in the community room.
Parks & Recreational Facilities
Pascone Park (formerly Ashford Park)
Located at the corner of Ashford Avenue and McCormick Drive (at the entrance leading to the Ardsley Middle School). Pascone Park was renamed in honor of Highway Foreman Louis Pascone who served as Ardsley's Highway Foreman for a remarkable 61 years from 1949 to 2010. The park has a playground, softball field, basketball court, two lighted tennis courts, small soccer field, skatepark and grass volleyball area. There is a gazebo where concerts are held every summer, and picnic tables. The Bronx River Stormwater Project rain garden and rain barrel are also in the park. Park facilities: Gazebo, playground equipment, skatepark, 4 tennis courts with lights, basketball court, softball / baseball diamond, soccer fields, picnic areas, restrooms, snack bar and more.
Located on Heatherdell Road in the Northeast corner of Ardsley. Named in honor of Wilbur McDowell who severed as Village Justice for 41 years from 1912 to 1953. The Ardsley Little leagues has been based at McDowell Park since it was dedicated in 1956. There are 4 baseball fields, one teeball area and one basketball area. The snack bar is operated in season by the Ardsley Little Leage. A picnic pavilion was constructed by the Ardsley Lions Club, and Little League picnics and local Scout activities are held there. Park facilities: Four ball fields, basketball court, pavilion, snackbar and restrooms.
Pocost Memorial Park, Bi-centennial Park, Silliman Park, Legion Park, Firefighters Park and Floyd Lichtenberg Park (library).
Thelma Zimmer-William Van Dorn Youth & Community Center
Located at 18 Center Street. Facilities: Large party room with kitchen and bathrooms. Also has pool table, ping-pong table, big screen television and more.
South County Trailway - A Spectacular Woodland Biking & Hiking Trail
Click Here For Information About the South County Trailway
V. Everit Macy Park - A 172 acre Westchester County Park
Westchester County has owned the 172 acres that make up V. Everit Macy Park since 1926.
V. Everit Macy was the county's first public welfare commissioner and later served as chairman of the county parks commission. The site was originally called Woodlands Park.
The park lies in Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry and Irvington and has three distinct areas.
To reserve Macy Park facilities or the picnic pavilion call (914) 864-7075.
Rockefeller State Park Preserve - NYS Department of Parks
Friends of the Rockefeller State Park Preserve
Over 1,000 acres of woodlands, meadows, wetlands and a 24-acre lake offer a wonderful retreat from the city. Come to hike, jog, fish, cross-country ski or study nature.
Fishing licenses are required and horseback riding is allowed with a permit. Kykuit, former home of the Rockefellers and one of the valley's most popular attractions, is located adjacent to the preserve.
|Click Here To
Contact Bill Boeckelman
|- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
|Click Here To
Return To Home Page
© Copyright 2007 Bill Boeckelman Publications