V Everit Macy Park
A 172 acre Westchester County Park
Westchester County has owned the 172 acres that make up V. Everit Macy Park since 1926.
V. Everit Macy was the county's first public welfare commissioner and later served as chairman of the county parks commission. The site was originally called Woodlands Park.
The park lies in Ardsley, Dobbs Ferry and Irvington and has three distinct areas.
- Just off the Saw Mill River Road (Rte 9A) in Ardsley is the "active recreational" section of the park with a playground, athletic fields, a picnic pavilion and picnic areas.
- The Woodlands Lake portion of the park is accessible either by car, from the northbound side of the Saw Mill River Parkway, or by foot or bicycle, along the South County Trailway. This section of the park is known as the Great Hunger Memorial Park. It contains a monument dedicated to the memory of the millions who died or had to leave Ireland during the 19th century potato famine. The monument was created by Dublin native Eamonn O'Doherty and dedicated June 24, 2001. The section of the park includes the Saw Mill River and Woodlands Lake, which is used for fishing and ice skating. The South County Trailway also runs through this portion of the park.
- The rest of the park is undeveloped woodlands and greenspace with hiking trails.
| Click Here To |
Contact Bill Boeckelman
|- - - - - - - - - - - - - -|| Click Here To |
Return To Home Page
© Copyright 2007 Bill Boeckelman Publications