Tarrytown NY 10591

 

Tarrytown, NY


Incorporated: 1870
Population: 11,277
Area: 2.98 square miles
Zip Code: 10591

 

 

 

Tarrytown is a village in the Town of Greenburgh on the east bank of the Hudson River, about 25 miles north of midtown Manhattan and 8 miles west of White Plains.

Points of Interest In The Tarrytown Area

A Brief History of Tarrytown
The Weckquaesgeek Indians were the first and only inhabitants of the Hudson River Valley until Henry Hudson claimed the area for Holland, in 1609. Until about 1800, Dutch remained the official language.

The origin of the name Tarrytown was thought to come from the Dutch word for wheat, "tarwe," since wheat was a major crop. (Washington Irving liked to say that colonial wives might have named the area Tarrytown because their spouses tarried too long at the local tavern.)

In 1693, a Dutchman, Frederick Philipse, was awarded 100,000 acres of land by royal decree. He constructed a manor house, a mill and a church in the area we now know as Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow.

The Old Dutch Church, which Philipse built, has a surrounding burial ground which includes the gravestones of early Dutch settlers as well as tombstones whose names inspired Washington Irving when writing The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.

During the Revolutionary War, Tarrytown was considered neutral ground. Yet the capture of Major John Andre, a spy working for Benedict Arnold, occurred in Tarrytown and was a pivotal point in turning the tide for the colonists.

After the War, Tarrytown flourished as a river port. The advent of the railroad made travel to New York City more convenient. Ferry service across the Hudson was initiated in 1848. The Tarrytown Lighthouse aimed its first beam across the river on October 1, 1883.

In the late 19th century, industries such as pottery, brick and shoe manufacturing prospered. Wealthy industrialists were drawn to the area and built sumptuous estates overlooking the Hudson. Millionaires like John D. Rockefeller, the Lehmans and Jay Gould helped Tarrytown build a reputation as the "millionaires' colony." Mark Twain built a home where the Tappan Hill Restaurant now stands. Commander Matthew Perry, Hudson River School artist Albert Bierstadt, and other people of accomplishment and wealth lived in this area.

In 1955, the Tappan Zee Bridge was completed. One of the longest bridges in the United States, its name came from the Dutch word "Zee," which means sea.

Sleepy Hollow, until late 1996 known as North Tarrytown, was the setting for Washington Irving's "Rip Van Winkle" and "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow."

The Tarrytowns' Warner Library stands at the center of the village and, in many ways, is at the center of the "soul" of the community. It offers something for everyone---changing displays, computer rooms, arts and crafts and rotating art exhibits, as well as a gracious living room setting on the main floor where patrons can read and muse.

Tarrytown Parks & Recreational Facilities
Pierson Waterfront Park
Located along the banks of the Hudson River directly adjacent to the Tarrytown Boat Club & Marina, the park features, tennis courts, handball courts, basketball courts, picnic tables, barbecue facilities, a covered pavilion available for group events, playground equipment, a promenade along the Hudson River, a fieldhouse and restroom facilities. The office for the Tarrytown Parks Department is in Pierson Park

Lossee Field
A multi-purpose athletic field including a softball field with bleachers, a baseball field with bleachers and a football/soccer field. The fields are lighted for night use.

Patriots' Monument Park
Located on the boundary between Tarrytown & Sleepy Hollow next to the Warner Library, the park is a historic location featuring a monument commemorating Revolutionary War heroes John Paulding, Isaac Van Wart, & David Williams. The park offers playground equipment, & picnic tables. The park is the staging point for many village events

Tarrytown Reservoir Trailway (Tarrytown Lakes Extension)
A paved pedestrian & bicycle path and numerous hiking trails meandering through the woodland watershed area surrounding the Tarrytown Reservoir. The trailway intersects both the North & South County Trailways

North County Trailway
The North County Trailway is a paved bicycle & pedestrian path located primarily on the right-of-way lands of the Putnam Division of the New York Central Railroad. The "Old Put", as it was fondly referred to by commuters, provided freight and passenger service from 1881 to 1958 between the Bronx and Putnam County ( Brief History of the Putnam Railroad Line ) . The North County Trailway spans 22.1 miles in Westchester County, from Eastview in the Town of Mt Pleasant, to Baldwin Place in Somers.

Old Croton Aqueduct
The aqueduct is a 33 mile linear state park. Built in 1845, it is owned and managed by the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, the trailway offers a scenic walk from northern Westchester County to New York City. It follows the path of the aqueduct that was once used to bring fresh water from the Croton River to New York City.

Rockefeller State Park Preserve - NYS Department of Parks
Friends of the Rockefeller State Park Preserve
Over 1,000 acres of woodlands, meadows, wetlands and a 24-acre lake offer a wonderful retreat from the city. Come to hike, jog, fish, cross-country ski or study nature.

  1. Trail Map #1 Of Rockefeller Park Preserve .
  2. Trail Map #2 Of Rockefeller Park Preserve .


Fishing licenses are required and horseback riding is allowed with a permit. Kykuit, former home of the Rockefellers and one of the valley's most popular attractions, is located adjacent to the preserve.

 

Click Here To
Contact Bill Boeckelman
  - - - - - - - - - - - - - -   Click Here To
Return To Home Page

 

© Copyright 2007 Bill Boeckelman Publications

http://www.move2tarrytown.com
Tarrytown, NY - A historic village in the Town of Greenburgh on the east bank of the Hudson River, about 25 miles north of NYC

Contact Info
Agent
Bill Boeckelman

Associate Real Estate Broker

Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage

6 Cedar Street
Dobbs Ferry  New York 10522

Licensed In NY and CT 914-681-5792 Specializing In Successful, Efficient, Problem-Free Home Sales

Contact Info
Agent
William Boeckelman

Associate Real Estate Broker

Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage

6 Cedar Street
Dobbs Ferry  NY 10522

Licensed In NY and CT 914-681-5792 Specializing In Successful, Efficient, Problem-Free Home Sales